Wednesday, July 8, 2015

We're Not in the West Anymore!

Hi Everyone!!!

So very much to tell and again so little time!  So I'll start with last week at the MTC.  So after I emailed on Wednesday they called all the sister missionaries into the gym.  We were all kind of freaking out because no one was telling us what was happening.  People were worried that the age change went back to 21 or that girls couldn't go out on missions anymore or something along those lines.  It was so scary.  Adults were running all around the place and then once everything had settled they finally told us what the deal was.  We had bats in our dorms. hahaha all this worry for bats!  It was actually hilarious.  So because there were bats we all had to go back to the dorm and pack up EVERYTHING and move out.  We got moved to these Horrible dorms.  They looked like 70 style motel.  It was scary.  It looked like where a murder would take place.  It was all dark wood with stains on everything and was just nasty.  The bunk beds didn't have railings on them either so we pushed the two bunk beds together so that we wouldn't roll off the edge in the night.  they were planning on completely gutting these dorms, but because of the bats we had to move into them.  They were bad, but we survived! the rest of my time at the MTC was pretty normal.  I still had classes and taught fake investigators.  I got one of my investigators to commit to be baptized so accomplishment!  haha but I think they always get 'baptized' at the end.  Its like you passed but there's no way to fail the MTC.  

Then last Monday we headed out at 3:30am for the airport.  I spent the whole day flying.  It was a long day.  We landed and I met the mission president and his wife.  I LOVE them!  I honestly think that I was called to Virginia just because of them.  He is the sweetest guy in the world and so full of love!  He told me too that if I'm ever assigned to an area with an ice skating rink that I can go skating on P-days!!  I almost started crying at that news!  That Monday we also got iPads.  They are trying to get every missionary in the U.S. iPads to use.  They are like super locked so I can only do church stuff on them, but they are handy because we can show videos in our lessons.

On Tuesday I met my companion.  I seriously love her.  She is awesome.  We get along so well and she has made me love being out here.  She knows what she is doing and is a really good teacher.  I will be with her for 12 weeks in the same area.  We are in Northern Virginia.  Like 30 minutes from D.C.  We live in a nice apartment, but the area we actual teach in is pretty ghetto.  We have lots of trailer homes and town houses in our teaching area.  Many people here are Hispanic which I'm happy about.  I'm trying to learn a bit of Spanish, but the struggle is real.

So everyday we get up and go to the gym and then study.  We then go out and if we have lessons we teach and if not we go knocking on doors.  I have knocked on SO many doors.  We only have one investigator because the first day I came three investigators dropped us.  haha "Abby luck"  but the one girl we are teaching is doing really well and I think she will be baptized.  But really for the most part I spend my time trying to knock on doors and find new people! We are one of the last areas to still knock on doors.  Most missions in the U.S don't do that anymore, but we do.  But luckily we have a car.  The Elders have to walk everywhere, but we get a car to go from neighborhood to neighborhood.

It's REALLY humid and the bugs attack.  Its not even that hot.  Since I've been here its been cloudy everyday, but the humidity just kills me and when we are out walking its death.  I'm covered in mosquito bites.  But it's fun too.  I get to talk with my companion and she has some funny stories from being out here.  I can't wait until I have some of those, but so far we haven't knocked on anyone's door who's crazy yet.  

Well i'm doing great and loving it out here.  It's so much more fun than I thought it would be!  

Love you all!!!
Sister Lawson

P.S. My address is 
15125 Beacon Ridge Dr. Apt 111
Woodbridge, VA 22191


My room before the bats.

Leaving because of the bats. (I'm supposed to be a bat!)

My district with our first teacher to the right.

My district with our second teacher.  (She has no name tag!)

Last temple trip with the district.

Me and Grant together again!  He's headed off to Taiwan.
He's gonna TOWER over the petite people there!


Travel companions

With my new companion, Sister Kellogg from California

With President and Sister Wilson

 Getting our iPads set up.

All ready to get to work!

Fourth of July outfit

No comments:

Post a Comment